Our journey to becoming greener continues...
We are a team who recognise that elements of our work have an impact on the environment resulting from resource consumption, transport, purchasing and waste production. In December 2010 we embarked on an environmental journey and ever since have been ‘Going that extra Green Mile’ to do what is right by the environment and innovating on behalf of our industry.
So what have we achieved on our environmental journey over the last year?
- For 2018 our carbon footprint was 93 tonCO2e. This is a 7% reduction of CO2e compared to 2014 and a 16% reduction per bottle of wine sold over the same period.
- Every year we calculate our carbon footprint and have it independently verified by the Carbon Trust. CO2 that could not be reduced was once again offset through the purchase of carbon credits making us carbon neutral.
- We are one of only a handful of UK merchants to hold ISO14001 (Environmental Management System). We first achieved ISO14001 certification in 2011.
- At the end of 2011 we launched our innovative industry leading service ‘Going That Extra Green Mile’. That is our ‘milk man’ service – a complimentary pick up and recycling service for empty wine bottles and boxes. In 2018 Jascots recycled nearly 10,000 empty bottles of wine and 4.9 tonnes of cardboard.
- In 2017 we achieved Soil Association Certification which gives us an EU Organic licence. Our licence gives us certification of the legal compliance needed to import organic products from outside the EU and to market them as ‘organic’.
- We now have a total of 26 organic and 3 biodynamic suppliers and a total of 44 wines that are either certified organic or biodynamic which is a 91% increase in just a year.
In January 2019, we introduced a pallet strapping system that avoids us using plastic wrap for delivery by our own vehicles. In 4 months we have avoided the use of 3 kilometers of plastic wrap.
- Over the last year we have fitted LED lighting in all our office space and common areas – later this year we are going to do the same for our warehouse.
- We have recently launched English wine in cans. Cans are much lighter than glass bottles and easier to recycle saving energy in shipping and reprocessing.
- We have reduced the volume of waste we send to landfill by 50% since 2011. We recycle 90% of our office waste.
- We no longer send out any paper invoices.
- We buy all of our paper from 100% recycled paper.
- We have reduced the amount of packaging we use by over 25% in 5 years. Our own packaging is made from 70% recycled material.
- We have communicated our environmental policy to our suppliers and ascertained their own credentials.
- In 2018 we sold over 48,000 bottles of wine that were shipped in bulk and bottled for us in the UK.
- In 2015 we launched our own brand Italian sparkling wine on draught called Vino Vispo targeting the on-trade casual dining sector. The wine is shipped and delivered in recyclable plastic lightweight 20 litre kegs. There is a carbon footprint saving to the equivalent of 26.6 glass bottles with every keg. In 2018 that was the equivalent of 3.5 tons of glass.
- In 2014 Jascots won the Green Retailer of the Year at the Drinks Business Awards. The award was made to the Merchant who could best demonstrate how business practices have had a direct impact on improving their and their suppliers' environmental credentials within the area of drinks retailing. The commendation read: "the judges described Jascots operation as "walking the talk" when it comes to waste and energy use, recently adding carbon certification to its list of environmental measures."
- Jascots, was awarded official approval from The Sustainable Restaurant Association (SRA) in 2015 for its green credentials, in particular its low environmental impact including smart resource consumption, transportation, purchasing and low waste production. The SRA is a not-for-profit membership organisation helping restaurants become more sustainable and diners make more sustainable choices when dining out.