Castellani was established in Montecalvoli at the end of the 19th century by Alfredo Castellani. In 1903, the business was officially registered in Pisa and Alfredo's sons Duilio and Mario set about the company expansion and presided over the company for decades, before being succeeded by his sons, Giorgio and Roberto, who continued in the manner laid down by their forefathers. A well read and cosmopolitan man, Roberto began to move the company into the international export market, and was one of the main catalysts of Chianti's then burgeoning international renown. The brothers purchased new vineyards and extended the wine-making premises at the estate, before a huge fire in 1982 threatened the very existence of Castellani, but undeterred, the brothers financed the purchase of new premises at the Campomaggio, and with the help of Roberto's son, the business soon flourished once more. The firm remains a family run enterprise to this day but works with specialists such as their oenologist Sabino Russo and agronomist Federico Compassi. The firm is now well over 100 years old and continues to strive for quality and excellence in all their enterprises while focusing on environmentally sustainable practises.